By Darlene Templeton
How many of you put everyone else’s needs, wants and desires first? Without getting your answers, I can bet it’s the majority of us! I find this with every group of women that I talk to or work with. It’s just who we are!
There are many ways to get your ME time, and I am going to share a few that are really simple and that either I do or other amazing women have shared with me. The real key is to be aware that you deserve this time and focus on how to get it.
- Quiet time - take 5: Sounds easy and simple, but it’s not. Find 5 minutes that you can truly have your quiet time. This means to stop “doing” and to switch to just “being. Here are some suggestions:
- Don’t go over your to do list for the day or what you need to do at work
- Listen to your favorite songs
- Focus on a place that relaxes you, I go to the beach
- Mediate: I always thought that meditating was such a time consuming activity, and that I certainly did not have time to do this. I found out that this is not true. There are stats that say 10-15 minutes of meditation bring huge physical, mental and spiritual benefits. Some easy ways to mediate:
- Breathe – deep breathing slows the heart rate, relaxes the body and helps focus your mind. Count your breaths
- Feel your body - Start with your feet, and the slowly move up your body
- Guided meditation – there are so many great ones available, check them out
- Spa Services: When I take the time to get a massage, facial, manicure or pedicure, it just makes me feel special and pampered. It’s the ultimate ME time. However, I often hear, “I can’t afford it, it’s too expensive and/or I don’t have the time.” Here are some suggestions on how to make that work:
- Search Groupon and other coupon offerings for deals. My dear friend and I just had one of the best massages ever, and it was $25.
- Ask for gift certificates for spa services for your birthday and other special occasions. My family and friends are very happy to do this.
- Make it a party and get your girlfriends to go with you. Now you not only have ME time, but time for a celebration!
These are just a few quick and simple ways to implement time for you. There are many other really cool ways to put some time for you back into your life. Find the ones that work for you and then focus on adding them to your day. Please don’t strive for perfection, remember that we are all “work in progress”.
I am asking you to add 5 minutes of ME time, a few days a week, and you will notice a huge difference. If you keep it up for 21 days, then it will become a habit! YOU DESERVE IT!
Please let me hear from you on what is working for you and what changes you are seeing. This would be great to share with the group. Please leave your ideas and your comments.
I would love to work with you and find out how I can design a customized coaching program that exactly fits your needs and develop a plan for your personal and professional success. I look forward to hearing from you. Please contact me at email@example.com
About the Author:
Darlene Templeton, the transformation and transition coach and leadership expert
Darlene Templeton is the CEO and founder of Templeton & Associates. She is a corporate “escapee”, a professional coach, speaker, and author. She specializes in transformation and transition specifically for those who want to make a greater impact personally and professionally while rekindling their passion and drive for life. Darlene engages, inspires and empowers women who are overworked and overwhelmed, helping them to put more time back into their lives, so that can do the things that they truly love.
Darlene lives in Austin, Texas with her husband, John. She loves spending time with her family and her four grandchildren.